Making a living from photography became quite difficult during the Covid-19 pandemic and, although the situation in Australia is under control, local photographers are still finding it hard to make a living.
To help out, Canon-backed SunStudios – a creative hub for all things filmmaking and photography with locations in Sydney and Melbourne – has set up an online platform to help connect art buyers around the world with Australian photographers.
The initiative, called Sun Editions, will feature a curated range of limited-edition photographs available for purchase as prints.
Each piece of art can be purchased in three different sizes, with different frame options also available. SunStudio’s own premium printing service will undertake the process of bringing the photographs to life.
Prints will cost between AU$800 for the smallest 650x650mm prints, and will go up to AU$4,000 for the larger 2,200×1,520mm option – depending on the choice of frame.
Currently, SunStudios has hand-picked nine Aussie photographers to be featured, with select images from each artist available to view both online and at SunStudio’s Alexandria location in Sydney between April 23 and May 19, 2021. The in-person exhibition will be open to the public and free of charge to view.
For the aspiring photographer
According to SunStudios, this initiative was started not only to support Aussie photographers, but to also provide exposure for local artists.
“Supporting commercial photographers and videographers is what we at SunStudios are passionate about,” said Luke Harrison, Senior Business Manager at SunStudios, “and our Sun Editions platform is a unique way for us to connect the best Australian talent with buyers looking for exclusive pieces of art for their homes, offices, or gallery spaces.”
However, not anyone can be featured on Sun Editions. If you’re a photographer looking to sell your work on Sun Editions, you will need to be part of SunStudio’s professional photography community.
If your work has the tick of approval from both peers and the broader art community, the chances of you being picked become higher. You’ll also need to be a versatile photographer, with a mix of genres and art styles in your portfolio.
If you’re a part of the SunStudios community, you’ll be invited to sell between eight to 10 selected works online for a 12-month period or until sold out.
According to SunStudios, only 10 editions of each print size will be sold per artwork, with the artist getting 60% of the sale price, and the rest 40% being a commission for SunStudios to be utilised for purchasing “the highest quality fine-art print paper” and to “manage the printing costs for each sale”.